Friday 28 February 2014

Spaceboules!!!


I've been writing a lot, in a quiet, secret place, about family holidays recently. I think this is because of my folk's getting a little bit older, and my mother's health not great, I guess I want to try and ollate all the good things we had in one place.

It's a good exercise for the memory as well.

This tale is extrapolated from a holiday in Southern France, courtesy of Eurocamp. It was the second half of our trip, after a week in Biarritz, and we had fetched up in Hourtin, in claret country. Across the Garonne, you could see a nuclear power station looming above the vineyards, a squat concrete building on the North bank of the river.

Sea beaches, blasted by Atlantic winds, were places where the skin was stripped from your face and the waves rolled in with primal force. Safe swimming could only be done at a beach on an inland lake, with a quay I unsuccessfully fished from. Our campsite had an unusual feature; an air raid siren used to summon fireman to the station. First night I was there it went off at 3am, and I lay terrified, expecting armageddon while trapped in a foreign land.

I used to wath petanque in the shady locale of Hourtin town square. This was the version of kiddy beach boules played with heavy metal ball bearings a couple of kilogrammes in weight. The pastis sipping locals could pitch these things accurately to an inch from twenty yards away, and cause clanking mayhem on the rough ground favoured for play. The sound they made was amazing.

Of course I cajoled my parents for a set, and eventually prevailed, despite the fact they were about 6 quid for a pair. I had two pairs, and a little wooden jack type ball. My favourite set were exquisitely cut with triple interlocking rings into the shiny surface of the steel, like a 16th century astrolabe or some other piece of astronomical equipment.

But where to play? I played on the grass next to our tent, but this was boring, the petanque landing with a dull thud like a shot putt, and rolling only a short and predictable distance. Yawn. There was no proper rink like some French campsite's had, the nearest thing I could find was a gravel area romatically sited near the campsite toilet complex.

I began to pitch, nice set versus slightly less nice set, typically adding commentary. The light was fading, the nuclear alarm silhoutted ominously against the twilight. I was dismayed to find that the gravel was scuffing my new boules, which I fondly imagined were similar to the balls of Plutonium found in the “Fat Man” Nagasaki nuke. But as the light got worse, I noticed something more amazing.

Everytime the petangue landed on the gravel, or hit each other, they were giving off sparks. The granite based gravel chips must have had incendiary qualities, there was a shower of auroral flame in minuture every time the ball hit the ground. In retrospect, I wish I could have just lain in the dark, and taking care not to crush my own head, thrown the petanque up and down right mext to my black-black-black-brown eyes to be drawn into the macro world of fireflashes and electro-flame, asteroid collisions on unknown worlds.

All while the Uranium in the gravel toasted my genetics, I would revel in these magnesium cream coloured events, and try and take photographs, and try and wish myself back there to be 15 again.

Copyright Bloody Mulberry 28.02.14

No comments:

Post a Comment