Thursday 13 February 2014

The Duvet Spaceship


I guess this is continuing a theme of childhood memories – I've been writing a lot of such material lately, trying to get a grip on parts of my past, to try and find in the child the Tourettic perhaps Aspergic fellow I am today. Although I seem to have spent a lot of time scrawling about the killer hornets of the Greek islands, or the pretentious kids I was forced to share holidays with, rather than find any significant psychological insights.

I sometimes wonder if every child has had a spaceship, or a submarine, or a car, or a nest, or an anything, constructed out of their duvet. Nowadays I think of my duvet as a tent, a tiny one man shelter I'm staying in on a bad weather day in the Lake District. But as a child, it doubled as a spaceship, and a home in a cave.

Getting the duvet into the right configuration was always tricky; I remember always being very OCD on getting the duvet in the correct folding pattern to enable it to feel like a tiny space capsule, rather than the inside of an obese silkworm. But once it was set up, you could retreat within, and leave a tiny opening to act as a porthole. I used to imagine I was being put in suspended animation and being sent on a space journey designed to last a thousand years.

Although it usually only lasted until Saturday Superstore came on, and you wouldn't want to miss that, in case someone called Matt Bianco a wanker again. Eventually I was rewarded (years later) when someone asked “Five Star, why are you SO FUCKING CRAP?” If you were in space for a thousand years, adrift like Major Tom, you might miss something like that.

Eventually I grew out of space, and pretended to be a sort of Stig of the Dump figure, living in a cave up a cliff surrounded by puffins.

Playing make believe has never left me, and I'm glad it hasn't, no matter how strange it might seem to others. 

Copyright Bloody Mulberry 13.02.14

No comments:

Post a Comment