Monday 3 March 2014

Me and My Mental Hospitals


The town's old mental hospital...marked by a red brick tower, a landmark still standing today even as the rest of it was ploughed under salted earth to make way for a supposedly luxurious housing estate which like every other such development in this town has ended up nothing such.

I was taken there by a next door neighbour for reasons I can't remember. “Would you like to come to the mental hospital with me?” - I can't imagine me saying yes to that as a 6 year old, nor my family agreeing to this. I wonder what the circumstances were? Perhaps they had a lasting effect, although I wasn't given ECT, I just sat in a brown and cream canteen drinking orange squash.

Much later...19? 20? I ended up visiting the mental health unit at the R D and E Hospital in Exeter. I called it Bedlam...it was a massive gothic building perched at the end of the site, entry through a huge flight of stone steps up into a door you always feared might shut behind you forever. Inside, as my brain erupted with obssesive behaviours disruptive to life, all was bege officers with beige soft armless chairs found only in mental health settings. Men wearing sandals and socks talked to me about my dreams. And I helped them fail to diagnose the obvious.

Hometown mental health unit for outpatient maniacs. Now a hotel, when before it was a maze of narrow staircases and staff who said things like “'Shrooms” to appear down with the kids. I in my long sleeved purple top wasn't even a drug user, although I was just starting to self medicate rather badly.

The counselling unit at my University deserves a mention, as I was in it virtually every week for three years. It was falling down, and the offices were tiny. I always dreaded seeing someone I knew there. When I did, we manoevered around and around to pretend we weren't going in there. He and I are now both writers, but he is a far more famous and richer one than I.

The new local unit. I've never been in it. Apparently the top job of any staff member is to help the patients watch Jeremy Kyle all day. Have we really progresses from the days of head cages and hosings down?

Copyright Bloody Mulberry 03.03.14

No comments:

Post a Comment