Thursday 20 June 2013

Under Drone Surveillance

I was out cycling yesterday, a warm, sunny but horrifically muggy day. I was watching the birds and butterflies, taking in the agricultural but still attractive scenery, and looking for kingfishers from my favourite bridge.

I'm used to seeing all manner of small aircraft in summer - we have a lot of training bases near here - and the eerie whine of an AWAC jet is a regular presence in our skies. However, I wasn't prepared to see one of these sort of insectoid entities buzzing 30 feet up over a cornfield...

http://www.aerialtronics.com/en/products

I was half expecting a rocket strike to blast me off the road, or sinister full blown black helicopters to deploy their cattle handling claws and transport me into men-in-black manned sky labs for instant vivisection.

Of course it didn't. It appeared to be under the control of a farmer surveying his crops; one of the primary intended purposes for these devices. I guess they have a lot of use in surveying, engineering and construction too. And they must be a boon to archaeologists as well.

However it's not difficult to envisage darker uses for these drones, especially as the price drops and they fall into the hands of other sort of "adult toy" set. They could hover outside bedroom windows, pointing their inhuman cameras through the gap in your curtains. Imagine their capability as a weapon of annoyance, or even destruction.

Imagine your own personal drone, following you everywhere you go, under the control of malevolent forces; paranoia inducing helicopter forms wielding huge needles dripping toxins, like the Hound of Fahrenheit 451. Jealous exes, angry neighbours, a new sport for the people baiting chav with money.

In short, they give me the creeps a little, fun things no doubt they can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment