Saturday 18 May 2013

Design Classic - The Buck Rogers Starfighter

When the TV show "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" arrived on British TV screens in 1981 or so, I was captivated. Not by the storylines, which even as a young child I could see were rubbish. Nor by Gil Gerard, who sporting what a friend of mine later described as a "utility haircut", was a long way behind S and M clad Avon and his grittier Blake's 7 chums. And as for Erin Grey's charms, well they only became apparent much later, in a post testosterone influx kind of way.

No, it was the spacecraft - the beautiful starfighters, with their twin pointy noses and excitingly angled fins, and different look - that caught the imagination of this viewer. And better still, even to a klutz like me, the basic shape was easily copiable through the medium of lego. When I finished my classwork early, which being a spoddy sort of kid I always did, I always got first crack at the lego and was chruning out various variants of Buck and Wilma's starfighters in chunky handfuls of coloured bricks.

They populated the never ending Aspergerish stories of my imagination, although sadly they haven't done so for a long time. I wished I had a toy, but when it appeared - and a couple of my rather more spolit schoolfriends got their mitts on them - I was gutted. Why oh why, did it have an ugly bar between the nose prongs THAT WAS NOT THERE ON TV!!!


Hah Corgi, you lie! I never saw a toy that looked like the one on the left there. You only got the version that looked like a spaceship designed for slicing vegetables, not cutting through the interstellar medium. It put me right off them, and they disappeared behind X-wings and Colonial Vipers in the stories of my mind.

Corgi! You destroyed a small piece of my childhood!

WORDS COPYRIGHT BLOODY MULBERRY 18/05/2013

6 comments:

  1. Hey, Just read your blog. I loved it and totally agree but.... Looking at them now those sharp ends would have been a puncture hazard if propelled through the air. I mean it was the 80's and no one really cared about safety and health and all that (apart from Jane Fonda and decade dancing Green,Darth Vader,Cross Man).Grat post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just picked one up in pretty good condition for the princely sum of six pounds. As annoying as it is the bar probably did save countless eyeballs, they made them to last in those days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can honestly confirm that the model on the left did not exist.. I had the one on the right with the bar and was told by the shop owner that it was put there to stop kids from injuring themselves..

    It was too white and the yellow wings just weren't right, I recall they fired out little missiles from the two holes on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can honestly confirm that the model on the left did not exist.. I had the one on the right with the bar and was told by the shop owner that it was put there to stop kids from injuring themselves..

    It was too white and the yellow wings just weren't right, I recall they fired out little missiles from the two holes on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny, because I was most familiar with the fighter from the toy (which my friend owned) because my dad steered me away from watching the series (he thought it was crap). The bar was what made it stand out to me - I still think it's a more striking design.

    ReplyDelete