Tuesday 19 November 2013

Anyone for Eyeballs?


It’s not as blatant as it used to be on TV cookery programmes, but its appearance on Masterchef the other day reminded me that eating bone marrow is still very much an in sort of fad.

It always seems to be presented as a sort of deep fried mini scotch egg, a little round parcel of offal, to be sold for 16 quid as a starter by Michelin starred “Brit-Chefs” on the ghastly gastro pub circuit. The sort of people for whom The Obese Goose or whatever it is called, is just not experimental enough.

I’m all for utilising the whole of an animal. Farming for meat is expensive, barely-to-un-sustainable and thus using the whole of the beast for food is ethically the right thing to do. But please, let me eat it as reconstituted cheap ham, or ground up eye-and-ballburgers.

I am not a Buffy monster, or a space creature with unusual tastes in organs. Ergo, the idea of scoffing into tripe, or kidney (piss making) or liver (shit making) or any intestinal or ocular apparatus is vile. But no, the new Brit-Chef scoops out parts that should never ever see the surface of the plate, and foists them upon a gullible public.

“Oh dahhling…that warm calf’s throat salad with an experience of lung was just deeeee-viiiiine. And cheap for twice the price at 18.99”.

If I was a glooping, slurping creature with the wrong number of arms and legs, or none at all, I might be interested in eating such hip concoctions. But I’m not. Give me burgers, or cheap ham, or turkey twizzlers.

Just don’t give me eyes.

Copyright Bloody Mulberry 19/11/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment