Tuesday 13 March 2012

STORY - Thirst

This is another very quick story, no edit, inspired by news reports of the impending drought here in the UK. What if it ended up being life threatening to some? Rather than hosepipeless inconvenience

Copyright Bloody Mulberry 13/03/2012





Thirst

It was a good job I lived in a temperate region, rather than any dustbowl desert long since taunted and roasted by any man or god.

My symptoms had first presented when I was a small child, a platinum blond haired boy of 6 for whom the dark streaks that distressed his mother so, well they had only made the faintest signs of appearing. But my illness had.

Initially, I hadn't been able to drink canned fizzy drinks and similar, obviously alcohol was never an issue, but I found myself utterly unable to keep Coke, Pepsi, Tab, Fresca or any of the other luridly coloured kiddy drinks of the day down – I would vomit them straight up within seconds. Corona and Cresta and Zoo Pops would make me bleed from my mouth as well. Lucozade, oh the irony, had the worst effects – hives, blistering skin, bleeding from most orifices.

A lot for a kid of 6 to deal with.

But so long as I kept to water or, gulps of horror, milk and also tea and coffee, all was well. I managed for another few years, growing into teenager hood ok and well, and not at all obese as some thanks to a diet totally free of nasty sugary drinks. And no Sunset Yellow colouring to make me hyper.

Alas, one day as a 16 year old, trying to impress a girl after a trip to cinema by going to a grown up coffee bar, and found myself having a grand mal attack and soiling my jeans after having a latte. So that was that, both for my ability to kiss any girl within 50 miles, and my ability to drink anything other than water.

I managed to survive drinking only water, which I suppose in a way I was very lucky relative to many to get hold of so easily, until into my 30s. Thank god I was able to smoke, and perhaps indulge in other things else my life would have been utterly miserable. But at 39, a glass of Perrier all but stopped my heart, and the doctors feared for my life. Anything fluid they dripped into me caused anaphalctic shock.

My family gathered round my bedside.

And then by a mighty mighty fluke, my life was saved. One day, there was a tremendous thunderstorm and the accompanying cloudburst was too much for the old NHS hospital's roof to handle. Down it came, straight on top of my ward, killing two patients in the beds next door to me.

A huge section of guttering fell across my bed, but rather than kill me as it should, the doctors found that in a delirious state, I had been drinking rainwater. And the rainwater had revived me.

And so the pattern of my life was set. I drink from plastic green barrels in my garden, catching the run off from the roof. I perversely enjoy drinking from puddles on all fours, especially if it is in front of people.

And most of all, I enjoy just standing out in a rainstorm, mouth swallowing the heavens like something from a primitive culture's creation myth, not giving a fuck about the looks I was getting from the folk in the street. They didn't know. Fuck them!

And then, then I heard of the upcoming drought....

Copyright Bloody Mulberry 13/03/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment