Wednesday 9 October 2013

Three Blades???!!! The Sword and the Sorcerer


“Um, I don’t think this film is really suitable” said the soft dad, the former failed labour candidate for the town, as his two children and I watched “The Sword and the Sorcerer”. He evidently thought it was a Disney fantasy romp, safe for us to watch on his toploading VHS. When he saw the breasts, he realised he was wrong.

I have seen this film essentially twice, on the occasion mentioned above, and again when ITV broadcast it late one night in about 1986 and my folks taped it for me on our FRONTLOADING video recorder.

The plot, which I can’t remember in any case, is entirely irrelevant, featuring the medieval Nazi Titus Cromwell kidnapping heroines to slake his foul desires and engaging a nasty wizard-monster to help his drive for world domination. “Tonight I will make love to you as no other man can” he informs the Princess, before her meaty thump reveals he routinely has to wear an armoured codpiece when seducing wenches. The wizard, he rather stupidly double crosses, and it kills him. Probably.

No, it’s not the storyline that grabs you, essentially yet another in the Conan / Krull / Beastmaster Fantasy boom of the early 80s. It’s the sword. Where the other films had to make do with single bladed weapons, Talon the hero acquires a magical sword that has THREE blades. And not only are these blades capable of slicing other swords in two, they can be fired like bullets into the guts of an enemy at the touch of a button.

"Cease your wrongdoing, or face my triple bladed wrath unleashed!"

How I wanted one when I was a child. Instead, I had to make do with a stick.

The film stands out in others ways. It is full of nudity, with gratuitous visits to the castle brothel aplenty. It is also staggeringly cruel, with the hero crucified at a banquet at one point before freeing himself to stick nails in the faces of the per-usual clueless enemy soldiers. Other scenes feature one of the great characters of Fantasy cinema, the shaven headed palace torturer, as he chews his way through his pain dungeon shouting lines like “These two didn’t have any more to say, so I cut out their tongues” and “Don’t worry little girl, it won’t hurt until I hit the bone.” Classic.

For some reason, I can’t remember the film being shown on British TV for well over twenty years, and the DVD is pricey. Come on Horror or SyFy, get your finger out!

Copyright Bloody Mulberry 09/10/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment