Saturday 25 February 2012

STORY - Salyut 6

Well, with a few spare minutes at the library, doesn't it occur to everyone to write a story about the last thoughts of an abandoned Soviet Space Station?

SALYUT 6

They left me after 8 days, they did, the Russian and the man from Romania, shut down my systems and left me cold and dark, endlessly circling, slightly lower each time, until the point at which someone on the brilliant blue and green ground below would throw a switch and de-orbit me, plunging me into the increasing thickness of the atmosphere and burning me to molecular ashes, shooting stars blazing in the skies above the sea in my wake.

And that would be it! Far from it of course, for them to know that up here in the black I might have any feelings, oh no! Of course they wouldn’t even suspect.

No-one died after visiting me, which was a bonus, no cosmonaut thrown to the ground by snarled parachute, or suffocated in the descent module after incompetent design allowed all the air to leak out; all the emerald green hummingbird Soyuz craft that left me reached the ground safely, leaving me to ponder the magnificence of the universe in undisturbed silence.

But now they had left for the last time, and shut down, empty of water and solar panels tarnished by the harshness of space, it was time to thank myself for a job well done, as no one else would, and think of what I had brought mankind and the motherland.

Progress! Progress! Progress!

Dosvedanya my friends! Dosvedanya Tovarsich!

Copyright Bloody Mulberry 25/02/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment