Saturday 28 June 2014

Jason of Star Command

A memory of this show wormed its way into my brain as I sat writing of something else, or rather trying to write of something else; an unclear mind wandering as light streaks of rain on the window superimposed themselves on the stunning variety of greens the park behind me provides.

I saw Jason of Star Command at a friend’s house during my junior school years. He loved it, which was just as well as he was a huge fan of Doctor Snuggles as well, which even the 8 year old me knew was dippy nonsense.

Jason on the other hand was sci fi, and the opening titles excited me, as it reminded me of the even longer ago Space 1999 – i.e people in cool costumes flying awesome spaceships. How young eyes deceive us eh?


Jason and his rather constipated looking crew

Of the show itself I can remember next to nothing, I didn’t even remember that James “never had beam me up Scotty said to him” Doohan was in it. I just thought it was a random fat space guy with a beard. Jason was a bit chubby too for a space hero, and any peril he was ever in was solved by him getting out a little pocket robot called “Wiki” and using it to laser open cell doors etc.
"Is that my agent? Get me on Buck Rogers NOW!!!"
And presumably look up which Popes were Spanish, or the diameter of Pluto, in his spare moments.

I remember that eventually Jason’s boss became a boring man with a blue face.
Serve you right for stealing Mr Wonka's bubble gum
What perhaps remained in my memory most was the one eyed enemy Dragos, and his asteroid spaceship that looked like it had giant satellite dish arms reaching out towards you. Scary stuff!
Dragos, disguised as Voltan from "Hawk the Slayer"
Copyright Simon Hodgson / Bloody Mulberry 28/12/14

No comments:

Post a Comment