Monday 11 February 2013

Memories of the Space 1999 Eagle


An image of my childhood, the classic toy Eagle transporter from Space 1999. At home in Scotland, I used to have one of these in our home up on the hill, overlooking the Bowling Green and the museum, and the long lawn me and the Murray boys used to play golf on with little plastic clubs and balls.

I used to hide in the strange cupboard under the stairs that didn't have a door, rather a maroon velveteen curtain, and make whooshing noises as I pretended to be Commander Koening or that Aussie guy called Alan who was always my favourite. Even then, I was a childhood who spent a lot of time looking inwards rather than out, although I had a fair few friends.

I always remember the episode where they thought they had returned to Earth, only it was an illusion placed in their minds by these blobby looking aliens that looked like the ones in "It Came from Outer Space".

Tragedy finally occurred when I made a high speed release of the transporter pod once too often, and I broke the release mechanism. The pod probably flew off behind the dusters and retro carpet sweeper, never to be found again, and the now rather skeletal looking spaceship ceased to appeal to me. It just didn't feel right.

Alas, like many things I owned in childhood, it would probably be worth a fortune now if I still had it in good nick...

No comments:

Post a Comment