Wednesday 10 September 2014

Who Wants to Die in their Bed?

I am by nature a coward, but I have daydreams of having a heart of cold, unfeeling steel.

Some famous writer or other, can't remember who, said “Marriage is the only adventure open to the wary”. Well I disagree. For some even that might be an unattainable goal, some might not find it terribly interesting or adventurous at all, and ultimately there is an adventure we all must take.

Hero, coward, one and all, everyone has to die. And without wishing to spill into horrible mawkish Gandalf “it's a journey we all must take” territory, it is a journey we all must take.

The trick is to make it as exciting as possible. After you've delayed it for as long as possible of course.

So no dying in my bed for me, not like most people.

I rather fancy the idea of being killed in an apocalypse...atomic war, tidal wave, asteroid strike. As a research project, it would be amazing, a literal, actual, once in a lifetime experience to end all experiences...the earth churning up under you, the thundering of a deadly wave, a scorching hot extinction event from the skies.

I w'd want to be there. I'd have to see. I'd have to know.  If it's a fate we'd all share, I wouldn't be worried about dying alone. I'd like to think tat especially in the case of a nuclear explosion, it would be like the climax of “Sunshine” where quantum and relativistic effects made it possible for Cillian Murphy to touch the surface of a re-ignited sun. How could you not want to go like that?

Reality check. The odds are against most of those things happening, in a huge way. I suppose I'll have to settle for being eaten by a pride of lions, ripped apart while I record my sensations into a dictaphone. Or smearing raw meat on my legs and running through a pack of komodo dragons.

How tedious.

Copyright Bloody Mulberry 10.09.2014

No comments:

Post a Comment