Friday 8 August 2014

The Peugeot 205 as Space Vehicle

My stepfather still has his 25 plus year old Peugeot 205, its his pride and joy, his love, his baby, his metallic blue tangerine flake baby.

And to me, like all our other cars, but this one especially, it was a spaceship. Yes, another thing in my life that was a spaceship, an escape from being a weird kid at school, an escape from being ignored by all the damn girls, a way out of tedious maths and sciences I could no longer do.

It was an all age thing, from childhood to adulthood. How many times have I written or thought about making spaceships out of things.

The 205 was, and is, the best because of its metallic spaciness, soft top - yeah, cabriolet spaceships are not much use in space I know - and fabulous internal retro stylings out of the 50s - all manner of knobs and levers that could be used for various thruster and life support services.

It was small, you could imagine the confinement of a Gemini or Apollo crew, I think actually there was more room in the 205 than in a Gemini spacecraft. Going to Mars in a 205, no room to stand or more realistically float about.

It's still there, and this common theme, this storyline running through my head forever, escape! But now, more likely on a bicycle or running, than in a space equipped Peugeot 205.

Copyright Bloody Mulberry 08.08.14

No comments:

Post a Comment