Monday 1 April 2013

STORY - The Brain Drain

It's not hard, perhaps, to see where the inspiration for this piece came from.

Copyright Bloody Mulberry 01/04/2013


The Brain Drain

As I turned on the television, I had been feeling great all day. I had been running, been cycling, had a great idea for ending world poverty, and after a cup of tea had begun to map out an organo-metallic cure for cancer. An attractive girl had phoned me up to line up a date, and my latest expressionist painting was coming along a storm.



Life was as rosey as Homer's dawn of similar hue, and better than that, it was stimulating and worthwhile.

And then, on that warm spring day where the flowers had spent the whole of it smiling at the sun, and the birds had sung so much I feared their beaks would wear out, it happened.

I turned on the television, and flicked through the channels. Reality. Home Improvement. Property. Politics. Reality. Politics. Reality. Property. Property that's a bit warmer than the other Property.

All the strength, all the optimism, all the joy, began to leech out of me, flowing out of my formerly strong body and oozing away between the cracks in the floorboards. I didn't knpw what was happening, I thought initially I had perhaps overdone things a touch and was going down with a touch of the flu, but as time went on and I carried on channel flicking, seemingly unable to resist.

Tanned faces and fake teeth leered out from amongst the LCD. Blue skies shone down on white box houses on the Mediterranean. Businessmen in cheap suits leered over the badly finished houses they were going to let out to unsuspecting tenants at exorbitant rates. Relatives re-discovered each other as audiences cried tears the music told them to shed on cue.

My eyelids became heavy, yet I could not sleep. All I could do was sit, my head seemingly nailed in place, and absorb what was coming out of the screen. My thinking became muddied. I kept trying to remember the exact speed of light, but failing. Then I couldn't even remember it approximately, and then I couldn't even remember it at all.

A terrible feeling of apathy came over me, and as quickly began to feel less terrible. What was the point in thinking? What was the point in creating? What was the point in easing suffering, or feeling pleasure? The only good was in consumption of the mindless, of the empty, of the trashy. To join the masses.

And there was no way to stop it. But, was it really so bad?.....

High in the control tower above the city, the cabal watched their monitors as the same thing happened to all who were formerly good in the country. The writers, the artists, the poets, the engineers, the designers, had been...erased, as it were. All now would be as unthinking as all the rest. Their work was done, and the land of mediocrity they had created slept for the first time. The first stage was over. It was time for the next to slowly begin.


No comments:

Post a Comment