Thursday 12 April 2012

Firefly versus Farscape

Someone I know is being indoctrinated into Firefly.

THis is a good thing. Firefly was a great show, gritty, low tech - which I love - well written and well acted by the usual Joss Whedon suspects. It is superior to the Serenity movie, which despite the addition of Chiwetel Ejiofor looks far too shiny. Far too shiny indeed.

Nonetheless it's a superior piece of Cult TV, and I really wish I hadn't given the DVDs back to the guy I borrowed them from.

However when I tried the same trick myself, on the same person, with Farscape, with the fun and jolly "Crackers Don't Matter" the response was all a bit "meh". I loved Farscape the moment I saw it, was gutted when it was cancelled despite the fact that after Series 2 it lost its way a little and turned too much into the Ben Browder show on occasion.

"A bit meh" - I was hurt and offended I can tell you. Wonderful characters, genuinely inhuman creatures - not just people with wrinkles stuck on their noses (Guilty as charged, Star Trek TNG) - Scorpius, the greatest camp villain since Servalan from Blakes 7, and settings just not found elsewhere.

I don't understand how any geek or nerd could not like Farscape!

No comments:

Post a Comment